Adult Education Resources
We recommend the free resources on this page as a way to grow in your relationship with God and journey of following Jesus through studying the Bible. Perhaps you can find ways to not only experience these resources for yourself, but create ways to experience discipleship in community by sharing them with friends.
This website is loaded with great resources that are COMPLETELY FREE thanks to the support of generous people around the world. It features helpful videos, insightful podcast conversations, and even an online classroom experiences.
- Videos: watch helpful overviews of all books in the Bible, special themes, and important word studies.
- Podcasts: choose from three different podcasts or add all three to your list.
- Classroom: a new environment to go deeper in your study of the Bible.
- Blog: articles that intersect with the videos as well as go beyond the videos.
- Studies: created weekly especially for this season, each small group Bible study is a resource to work through on your own, with your family, or with your Journey Group.
- App: designed to provide a journey through the story of Scripture where you’ll learn how to read the Bible as you read the Bible.
A charismatic fisherman drowning in debt. A troubled woman wrestling with real demons. A gifted publican ostracized by his family and his people. A religious leader struggling with his beliefs. See Jesus through the eyes of those that met him.
This television series about Jesus and those he chose to follow him is compelling, convicting, and moving. It has captured the attention of Christians and non-Christians alike. One magazine calls it Christian TV That Even Heretics Can Get Behind.
This podcast features Bible stories retold in creative and dramatic fashion. If you are new to the Bible, use these stories to lead you into Bible reading as a way of following up and learning more. If are not new to the Bible, give your knowledge of these stories a fresh perspective. You might even "see" something you've never seen before.
The Well is an online learning site from Memorial Road Church of Christ. These are fully online, learn-at-your-own-pace courses that you can watch or listen to whenever/wherever. It's totally free and open to everyone - not just people at Memorial Road. There are a handful of classes available now, and new classes will continually be added. Sign up and pick a class to try. You even get a downloadable certificate when you finish a class…if you're motivated by that sort of thing.
This podcast takes bite-sized deep dives into various scriptures and topics that will help us to be more faithful and responsible Bible readers. Most episodes will be 5-7 minutes in length and will release twice a week. The host of the podcast is Josh Kingcade, Education Minister at Memorial Road Church of Christ (Oklahoma City).
The Three-Column Bible Study is a simple method for gaining insight on a passage from the Bible. Here's how it works:
- Identify a paragraph (maybe 3-4 verses) or more from the Bible.
- Take a piece of notebook or printer paper (or use your journal), turn it longways (landscape), and draw two lines from top to bottom forming three columns.
- Title the first column "Scripture", the second column "My Words", and the third column "I Will".
- In the first column, write the passage word-for-word. In the second column, write the passage in your own words (perhaps like your own Message version of the Bible or as you would put it in words for a child to understand). In the third column, write down "I will..." statements inspired by the passage.
- Take time to reflect and pray before writing in each column.
The Three-Column Bible Study can be used on your own, with your family, or in a small group (in-person or online). Use this method to study a large chunk (a chapter, a long story, a whole book, or a theme/word study) of the Bible in small bites.
The three-column idea can be done verbally in a group as well. Here are some resources:
- The Discover App provides a simple way for a group to work together. Watch the video and explore their website.
- This website provides a simple overview of a Discovery Bible Study. Watch the video for a good overview.
This website features the teaching of N. T. Wright, a world renown Bible scholar. While most of the resources require payment, there are some good free options:
- Paul and His Letter to Philemon: this course communicates the importance of breaking down and confronting social norms.
- Reading Scripture in Public: this course discusses why hearing the Bible read aloud is a life-giving practice
- Resurrection and the Renewal of Creation
- From Hypocrisy to Compromise to Faithfulness: The Story of Acts 15
- Paul for Tomorrow's World
- Thinking in a New Way
- Understanding the Divine: Insights from John's Gospel
This smart phone app is a daily devotional resource that helps you pray the bible every day.
This smart phone app, rooted in the tradition of the Book of Common Prayer, is designed to develop long lasting spiritual rhythms of prayer and scripture readings.
This smart phone app provides a fresh new way to engage Scripture through listening. While full access requires a paid subscription, you can get limited access for free.